Friday 27 July 2007

Things that collapse

This is only the second summer for this border and it's already choc-full. You can't even see the Griselinia hiding at the back but in winter they are about the only thing on show - I'm hoping by the end of the summer they'll be the height of the wall behind (there are three of them there). The yellow flowers at the front are Coreopsis verticillata Zagreb - I bought two very wee pots (I mean those silly inch pots you get in the garden centre early spring) and they seem to be doing as well as last year when they flowered well into October/November although I was a rather manic dead-header. Can't say the rain has allowed for the same this year.

The taller yellow blooms are Anthemis tinctoria 'E.C. Buxton, again bought in an inch pot. I'm a bit annoyed with them as I made sure I staked them (lesson learnt from last year) but this year they have tricked me into growing a foot higher so they all collapsed, hence the rather savage big cane emergency stake that's there. I'll be better prepared for next year.

2 comments:

  1. like look of your liatris- ours all slugged out. pity cause hovers seem to love em. whats point of grislini. car park plant maybe .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Griselinia are a favourite of mine as they are really hardy in windy, exposed sites (our gets pretty rough in winter as we are high on a hill). They are evergreen and the leaves are a true apple green so really cheery in the winter.

    ReplyDelete