Wednesday 19 September 2007

Autumn harvest

We are picking tomatoes every day now (and keeping an eye on the forecast for the first frosts, hopefully not anytime soon). I've lost a couple of plants to blight but it's not spread. My beetroot just didn't come up this year, despite a few separate sowings. All I had were about four or five beets, very poor compared to last year. I bought some smaller seedlings which I planted a few weeks ago but I'm not sure if it's all too late for them now (weatherwise). There's plenty of lettuce; been great this year. The ones I sowed directly into the veg beds failed (eaten) but I sowed into pots (Mr Fothergill's organic salad bowl red and green), harvested small leaves and when the plants got bigger moved them into a bed. Turned into whoppers and keep producing leaves - I just take what we need, it's great.

No comments:

Post a Comment