Friday 4 May 2007

Too soon to plant?

It's now the daring time of year - should I risk a late frost and get things in the ground? My corn is getting big and moving all the trays (not just the corn) in and out of our small porch is becoming a chore. Not to mention all the watering the little pots need. Maybe it's not that daring - May has crept up on me this year. It's more the knowledge that I lack the necessary fleece for a spot of last minute protection in the event of a nasty weather forecast.

Anyway, chores for the weekend will involve some planting - corn, maybe toms (might risk a few - definitely two tumblers (Gartenperle) that are going into the new planter on the patio (self-built)) and leeks (I'm a bit overdue with these but there's a good reason - no room which means more turf to dig). I'll sow some bean seeds; this year I'm sowing unknown runners (from my Mum), French beans (Sonesta - they're yellow. Did them before but not enough, they are truly tasty, very nutty) and some climbing French (Neckar Queen - not tried before).

I also have to pot up three new shrubs I got from my Dad for my birthday (2x shrubby lilacs (Syringa meyeri 'Palibin') and a vibernum (Viburnum plicatum f. tomentosum 'Mariesii') - all are drying out daily). These already have a home in my plan but they will have to wait until later in the year to get into their places.









No comments:

Post a Comment