Tuesday 15 May 2007

Topping up stocks

After being hemmed in all day on Sunday (constant rain), I was able to venture out yesterday and sowed some more French beans (Sonesta - the nutty yellow dwarf ones) and some more radish (packet left in shed, don't know what variety). We've already harvested three radish (I'm rather weak-willed for thinning so went the opposite way and sowed far too thinly). The remaining two aren't looking very meal-like so thought best to replenish stocks. I also got around to planting leeks (finally). I sowed these ages ago and they have been sitting in a shallow tray in the front garden looking rather miserable for a couple of months. I wasn't quite sure where I was going to put them (and the thought of digging a new bed was a real deterrant) but found a couple of spaces amongst the garlic and between the young and small (so far) rhubarb (only planted this spring). This is probably the worst thing to do - I have no idea if rhubarb hates leeks...probably but there was no other space.

The Italian basil (seeds from my brother) and parsley (from my mum - she gave me a tiny pot with loads of seedlings) are doing well on the kitchen window sill. I put some of the parsley outside in my herb pot and all have survived the deluge of rain. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment